If food is meant to provide health to your body, then why would artificial ingredients be used in meal preparation? The simple answer is…the further away your meals are prepared from your kitchen the longer they need to sit on the grocery store shelf before you buy them, so artificial ingredients are used to increase their shelf life. Many international studies have been conducted on the effects of artificial ingredients on animals. Results of these studies have ranged from cancer to inflammatory bowel disease—why would you want to expose yourself to this risk?
The artificial ingredients to avoid are categorized as follows:
- artificial sweeteners
- artificial colors
Common Food Additives
(MPH Programs List Advocates for Public Health Education, “50 Jawdroppingly Toxic Food Ingredients & Artificial Additives to Avoid” https://mphprogramslist.com/50-jawdroppingly-toxic-food-additives-to-avoid/)
- Sodium nitrate: Added to processed meats to stop bacterial growth. Linked to cancer in humans. (Worst Offender)
- Sulfites: Used to keep prepared foods fresh. Can cause breathing difficulties in those sensitive to the ingredient.
- Azodicarbonamide: Used in bagels and buns. Can cause asthma.
- Potassium bromate: Added to breads to increase volume. Linked to cancer in humans.
- Propyl gallate: Added to fat-containing products. Linked to cancer in humans
- BHA/BHT: A fat preservative, used in foods to extend shelf life. Linked to cancerous tumor growth.
- Propylene glycol: Better known as antifreeze. Thickens dairy products and salad dressing. Deemed ‘generally’ safe by FDA.
- Butane: Put in chicken nuggets to keep them tasting fresh. A known carcinogen.
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG): Flavor enhancer that can cause headaches. Linked in animal studies to nerve damage, heart problems and seizures.
- Disodium inosinate: In snack foods. Contains MSG.
- Disodium guanylate: Also used in snack foods, and contains MSG.
- Enriched flour: Used in many snack foods. A refined starch that is made from toxic ingredients.
- Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH): Geneticially-engineered version of natural growth hormone in cows. Boosts milk production in cows. Contains high levels of IGF-1, which is thought cause various types of cancer.
- Refined vegetable oil: Includes soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, canola oil, and peanut oil. High in omega-6 fats, which are thought to cause heart disease and cancer.
- Sodium benzoate: Used as a preservative in salad dressing and carbonated beverages. A known carcinogen and may cause damage our DNA.
- Brominated vegetable oil: Keeps flavor oils in soft drinks suspended. Bromate is a poison and can cause organ damage and birth defects. Not required to be listed on food labels.
- Propyl gallate: Found in meats, popcorn, soup mixes and frozen dinners. Shown to cause cancer in rats. Banned in some countries. Deemed safe by FDA.
- Olestra: Fat-like substance that is unabsorbed by the body. Used in place of natural fats in some snack foods. Can cause digestive problems, and also not healthy for the heart.
- Carrageenan: Stabilizer and thickening agent used in many prepared foods. Can cause ulcers and cancer.
- Polysorbate 60: A thickener that is used in baked goods. Can cause cancer in laboratory animals.
- Camauba wax: Used in chewing gums and to glaze certain foods. Can cause cancer and tumors.
- Magnesium sulphate: Used in tofu and can cause cancer in laboratory animals.
- Chlorine dioxide: Used in bleaching flour. Can cause tumors and hyperactivity in children.
- Paraben: Used to stop mold and yeast forming in foods. Can disrupt hormones in the body and could be linked to breast cancer.
- Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose: Used as a thickener in salad dressings. Could cause cancer in high quantities.
- Aluminum: A preservative in some packaged foods that can cause cancer.
- Saccharin: Carcinogen found to cause bladder cancer in rats. (Worst Offender)
- Aspartame: An excitotoxin and thought to be a carcinogen. Can cause dizziness, headaches, blurred vision and stomach problems.
- High fructose corn syrup: Sweetener made from corn starch. Made from genetically modified corn. Causes obesity, diabetes, heart problems, arthritis and insulin resistance.
- Acesulfame potassium: Used with other artificial sweeteners in diet sodas and ice cream. Linked to lung and breast tumors in rats.
- Sucralose: Splenda. Can cause swelling of liver and kidneys and a shrinkage of the thymus gland.
- Agave nectar: Sweetener derived from a cactus. Contains high levels of fructose, which causes insulin resistance, liver disease and inflammation of body tissues.
- Bleached starch: Can be used in many dairy products. Thought to be related to asthma and skin irritations.
- Tert butylhydroquinone: Used to preserve fish products. Could cause stomach tumors at high doses.
Food colorings give food a more eye-catching presence, but they are known to cause health problems, especially in children, causing asthma and hyperactivity.
- Red #40: Found in many foods to alter color. All modern food dyes are derived from petroleum. A carcinogen that is linked to cancer in some studies. Also, can cause hyperactivity in children. Banned in some European countries. (Worst Offender)
- Blue #1: Used in bakery products, candy and soft drinks. Can damage chromosomes and lead to cancer.
- Blue #2: Used in candy and pet food beverages. Can cause brain tumors
- Citrus red #1: Sprayed on oranges to make them look ripe. Can damage chromosomes and lead to cancer.
- Citrus red #2: Used to color oranges. Can cause cancer if you eat the peel.
- Green #3: Used in candy and beverages. May cause bladder tumors.
- Yellow #5: Used in desserts, candy and baked goods.Thought to cause kidney tumors, according to some studies.
- Yellow #6: A carcinogen used in sausage, beverages and baked goods. Thought to cause kidney tumors, according to some studies.
- Red #2: A food coloring that may cause both asthma and cancer.
- Red #3: A carcinogen. that is added to cherry pie filling, ice cream and baked goods. May cause nerve damage and thyroid cancer.
- Caramel coloring: In soft drinks, sauces, pastries and breads. When made with ammonia, it can cause cancer in mice. Food companies not required to disclose if this ingredient is made with ammonia.
- Brown HT: Used in many packaged foods. Can cause hyperactivity in children, asthma and cancer.
- Orange B: A food dye that is used in hot dog and sausage casings. High doses are bad for the liver and bile duct.
- Bixin: Food coloring that can cause hyperactivity in children and asthma.
- Norbixin: Food coloring that can cause hyperactivity in children and asthma.
- Annatto: Food coloring that can cause hyperactivity in children and asthma.
Here at DinnerDelivery.net we put your health in our hands. So, putting artificial ingredients in your meals would be against our core belief. We focus on how quickly our freshly prepared meals can leave our chef knives and land on your kitchen table.
Feed health into your body with our freshly prepared Zero Effort Meals and receive $25 off your first order.
Try just one week of delivery at www.DinnerDelivery.net and realize how easy it is to enjoy healthy food.
Best of Health,